Where I live there is a restaurant called Adele's, and every time I eat there I order the same thing. It's a giant baked potato with strips of grilled chicken, broccoli, Alfredo sauce and cheese, yum! Well, yesterday my Granny brought me some ingredients to make my own at home. Except for the sauce, she brought sour cream instead, which I'm not a big fan of :( So I decided to make them for dinner, with semi-favorable results lol.
The first thing I did was prepare my potatoes; scrubbed them up really well, then rubbed the skins with oil and some salt. I read somewhere that most of the nutrients in potatoes are in the skin, and I would say that my potato skin tasted better than that from the restaurant :) Yay small victory! Then I wrapped the potatoes in foil and stuck them in the oven at 375. I read on FoodNetwork's website that it should only take about an hour for up to 4 potatoes. We'll revisit that later...
So I let the potatoes go for like 40 minutes and then started the rest of the toppings. So here's where I cheated a little bit; I used precooked Foster Farms chicken breast strips, but instead of sticking them in to oven I cooked them in a pan on the stove with some butter and grill seasoning to make them yummier. Hey, I'm actually baking potatoes in the oven instead of the microwave, I think I earned some credit there :) And then I guess I also kind of took the easy route with the broccoli too, and just steamed it in the microwave for a few minutes until it was al dente.
I did, however, attempt to make my Alfredo sauce from scratch. I found a recipe on Pinterest (well, more like a list of ingredients) that I could accommodate to what I had at home. The recipe called for 1 cup of heavy cream (I just used whole milk), a half a stick of butter, 1tbsp cream cheese, a clove of garlic, and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, plus salt and pepper. I also added a little nutmeg and Italian seasoning. I'm unsure if this was the proper procedure, but I minced the garlic and sauteed it in the butter just for a few minutes and then added the milk and waited for it to come up to a boil.
Right about now the timer for my potatoes went off so I went to go check on them- rock hard :( And as I'm stabbing at my potatoes with a fork hoping that at least part of them was cooked... my Alfredo sauce boiled over :( Nothing smells quite like milk burned on the elements of your stove, or is as awesome to clean up.
So, I unwrapped the potatoes and stuck them right on the oven rack and turned my attention to salvaging my sauce. When I make Alfredo sauce at home I like to use a specific organic packet mix and augment it with extra butter and cream, but these were desperate times :) So I dumped the spices and Parmesan cheese into the milk and whisked for 20 seconds like the instructions on my packet tell me to. I figured the same concept applied. After that I plopped a spoonful of cream cheese into the mix and whisked until it dissolved. I was actually quite surprised to see how well it thickened the sauce.
I was out of things to do so the potatoes could keep cooking, and they were still not done so I gave up and stuck them in the microwave. I guess I lose some of the points I was hoping would cover the precooked chicken, huh? So once the potatoes were done I cut them open, put chicken and broccoli on top, smothered them in Alfredo sauce and topped them with shredded cheese.
They were OK. I do definitely think the skin on my potatoes was tastier, probably due to the 16 different cooking methods I used, I can see how that would be impractical for a restaurant :) the sauce was a little grainy though, I guess the Parmesan didn't dissolve all the way. Chloe and I ate all of ours, as for my Hubby? "Well, I ate all the chicken out of it." :) At least he tried.
So, the verdict? Only Grandma's make potatoes in the oven anymore because it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r; a watched pot never boils, but an unwatched pot will boil over; and sometimes it's best to just go out for dinner.

No comments:
Post a Comment